May I extend a very warm welcome to all visitors to the Manor Community College website. This is an extremely exciting time for the college and I am delighted to have been appointed as its new Principal. I fully intend to build on the excellent work of my predecessor, David Cressey, and take the college forward focusing on our core aims:
- to ensure that every child matters but, more importantly, that every child realises their potential.
- to continue to improve standards of learning and teaching across the school
via a rigorous quality assurance programme; experimenting with innovative learning, teaching and assessment strategies, enhanced stakeholder (parents, students, staff and governor) ‘voice’; access to a “Virtual Learning Environment” for all stakeholders; enhanced teacher training (CPD); regular sharing of good practice and, finally, continuous improvements to the learning environment and resources.
- to use our new Specialist College Status in the Performing Arts (awarded by the Department for Children Schools and Families (DCSF)) to drive up standards, promote collaborative work and help us to work more effectively with our partner schools;
- to actively seek recognition and accreditation from the Arts Council, Sport England and Investors in People for the excellent work we do in these areas;
- to become a centre of innovation and excellence in the Performing Arts, Vocational Education, the use of ICT and training;
- to make learning at Manor an extremely enjoyable and worthwhile experience;
- to further raise student aspirations and promote the considerable benefits of lifelong learning;
- to further enhance the role of governors in the shared leadership and management of the school;
- to work in partnership with parents/carers;
- to continue to raise standards of attendance, behaviour and attainment so that we are in line with the top 25% of schools nationally,
- ultimately, to be one of the best performing schools in Cambridge!
I believe all of this is possible if students, parents, staff, governors and the local community genuinely work in partnership.
At Manor, we realise that choosing the right school can be a very difficult task. After all it is one of the biggest decisions a family has to make. Although this website (which is still being developed) and our school prospectus will not be able to tell you all the things you need to know to make that decision, it will help you to go through the process. Naturally, any website or publication can only give you an impression of what a school is really like. Therefore we urge you to make an appointment to come in and see us in action. This way you can spend an hour or so (at a mutually convenient time) looking around the buildings and departments and meeting students and staff. These opportunities are in addition to our ‘open evenings’ which will be advertised on this website and in the local press. Needless to say, we would love to see you at these events too!
We work extremely hard to ensure that the transition from Primary to Secondary school is as smooth and relaxed as possible so as to ease the stress or anxiety that you and your child/caree will inevitably feel at this time. Being a small school we also pride ourselves in knowing a great deal about each and every student. I believe our pastoral system is second to none.
Above all we attach a great deal of importance to students feeling safe, enjoying school, achieving (and indeed exceeding) their target grades in an atmosphere of mutual respect, tolerance and positive behaviour. I believe your role, as parents and carers, in ensuring that this happens is crucial. We can only be successful if we work in partnership. As such your involvement will always be respected and welcomed. I look forward to welcoming you to Manor in the very near future.
Ben Slade – Principal